January 14, 2009

Melancholy Mechanics

To ease the constant feeling of isolation from living in a very small mountain town, i have been making frequent trips to visit friends who are still in Colorado. As I began to take to the road for a recent trip, I found myself rifling through my collection of CDs (remember those?!) in desperate need of some fresh sounds. I stumbled upon a mix CD that I made while in high school. I thought hard to try to remember what was on it.
I drew a blank. I smiled. I threw it in!
Nice trip down memory lane! Perfect pick for the trip. One of the songs happened to be one of my favorites to sing along with. It is very laid back and fits my vocal range perfectly! Just a fun song to sing! Red Hot Chili Pepper's Melancholy Mechanics (click the name for song). Great driving song!

persistent mystic faults my vision
its like always this point of collision

its raining in my cranium
my head feels like a stadium

3 pound of love
about to burst
inside my 3 pound
universe

its raining in my cranium
my head feels like a stadium

these are the melancholy mechanics of my mind

symbols I've been given to express my goal
always come up short
you know they just don't get that low

its raining in my cranium
my head feels like a stadium

these are the melancholy mechanics of my mind

Quick release chemicals strike with incomprehensible precision
Biorganic electronics targeting microscopic destinations of devastation
cleaner than light
meaner than a laser fight in the night 2000
billions of micro maniacs unknown to most as the uncontrollable soldiers
of suffering succotash
instantaneous infiltration leaves me with a case of bustation, frustration,
alone in the constellation of alienation detached from empty conversation
I wait
I wait
for the waaaaaave to break.
That last bit is spoken in a very quick rhythm. Really fits those days when I feel relaxed, yet also very productive and creative. My mind may be racing with thoughts and ideas, but I find myself very relaxed and do not feel the need to actually present these thoughts in any physical way. No need to write or create or even make them verbal. I am content in knowing that I had the thought and that it is still stored away in mind for another day. So, at the end of the day...I may not have much to show for this laid back brainstorm. That is okay. Perhaps these thoughts need refinement before they are to be harvested.
The day is not exciting. It is not depressing.
It is...melancholy.

I love this song. Its quirky and relaxed beat fits my mood well. I picture myself with a cup of tea or a nice glass of wine just sitting back in a comfy chair in a small coffee house. Warm lights. People talking. The band playing in the corner. Me - smiling at myself as another crazy thought begins to develop. Maybe this one will get written down. Maybe...

Let's just see how it ripens.

No comments: