November 11, 2008

Best Laid Plans....

At this point I must fulfill my promise to explain what happened to those exciting plans that I had laid out for after CC. Thus far, I have shared ideas and cracked some jokes. However, if you are a loyal reader, then you deserve to understand and know me better. Really, I have been trying to avoid thinking about those plans. It is not pleasant to dwell on plans that, despite my best efforts, did not turn out as splendidly as I had hoped.

So...what did this college grad have planned for life? Let's go back to the start-->

April 2008 -- Senior Year of College

My Senior year was just like anyone's...well, at least several people I knew. I was doing great in my classes, enjoying my friends, loving life, and attempting to plan out what would happen after I graduated. However, I was more interested in massive road trips, wine tasting parties, and late-night talks over tea than in choosing a career path or even my next step. It was near the end of the year (April to be exact) that I was really forced to face the fact that I had no plans, no ideas, and no real guiding passion. I think between my parents nudging me and all my peers making plans, I started to get nervous. April was a rough month, for many reasons. Basically, I found myself constantly nervous and dreading the question that everyone I ran into was destined to ask: "So, what are you doing after college?" I could just feel the moment arriving. It did not sneak up on me. No, it attacked from the front just dripping with arrogance. It was almost as if I could see the words crawling off of my inquisitive friend's lips and shooting towards me like arrows. Unfortunately, I had no sword of "Career Path" or shield of "Defined Goals" to fend them off. It was rough.

Then, one snowy day in April found me having coffee with a good friend. She was telling me all about a project that she was working on for next year: A rather large service trip to aid impoverished farmers in India. Yes, this was impressive. Yet, what was more impressive was her passion. When she spoke about this project, her views on society, and just in general about her desire to serve others, there was so much passion. She knew exactly where she stood and what she held as crucial beliefs and goals. Frankly, it was hard not to be inspired.
Now, I did not just decide to take on her goals as my own. Rather, our short discussion was able to re-kindle some related passions that I had once held. I realized that I did not want to just jump into a career or more school. I had spent most of my life making sure to care for myself first. I had to do something that gave back. So, I looked into service opportunities through Americorps.

Now, there is one friend who also deserves some credit for helping me look into Americorps. Laura had been bugging me for quite some time to look into what was available. I really should have listened to her earlier! (Sorry! And thank you!) But, I researched and found a program that I liked. Then, in less than a month's time, I applied. Crazy fast!

NCCC - National Civilian Community Corps

The NCCC is a program that places 12 young adults (18-24) on a team, trains them in one of several US cities, and then deploys them around the US to complete service projects. NCCC teams must be requested by programs/groups and have project proposals. NCCC teams can perform all kinds of service activities: education, environmental work, community planning, physical labor, etc. I was told in my interview that 60% of current NCCC team's work is in the gulf area doing hurricane cleanup. They house, feed, insure, and pay (very small stipend!) the team members. It is a program where I would be doing a solid year of service, often working very long days. Perfect!

So I applied by the end of May. Here is where my crazy adventure with NCCC begins! I had lined up two jobs for the summer and still had a great apartment--no problems. Step one was figuring out the crazy online application. I have never seen an explanation of qualifications limited to 20 characters! Not fun, but I figured it out. Then I received an email message that thanked me for my application (yay!) and instructed me to call a number to schedule an interview. Step two. I called. Our conversation went something like....
ME: Hi, My name is Jeremiah and I applied for the Fall Cycle of the NCCC. I was calling to schedule my interview.
THEM: Oh, did you receive a packet in the mail?
ME: No, I received an email after I applied that instructed me to call.
THEM: Really? Huh! Well, yeah...you need to wait for a packet to come in the mail.
ME: Uh, are you sure?
THEM: Yeah, just wait for the packet.
ME: Okay. Um, thanks. Bye.
Encouraging?! Well, I felt that maybe (just maybe!) that person I talked to was not well-informed. I emailed the support for the Americorps application process. They confirmed that I did need to wait for a packet and that the email I received was an automated error. Well, okay! Shortly there after, the packet arrived, I scheduled my interview, and then had my phone interview. Now, the interview went surprisingly well! I connected really well with the interviewer and felt great afterwards! Yay Progress! Now just a little waiting...

It wasn't till the end of the summer that I received my acceptance letter. It had been mailed to my parents house (an hour drive away) and had been delayed. So, My parents received it on a Thursday and got a hold of me on Friday morning. The letter named me as an alternate for the fall cycle and had several forms that needed to be completed and returned by Monday...to Washington DC! So, I skipped work, raced to get the forms, raced back to fill out medical history forms and get fingerprinted, and then got them to FedEx just in time! What a hassle!

I was excited to be accepted, but just a little discouraged by the disorganization so far and by my alternate status. Being an alternate meant that if someone dropped out, I was in. However, they did not keep me posted and I just had to wait. I called them several times, but it was always "Keep waiting". The Fall Cycle of NCCC started Oct. 6th. Now you are probably making the connection between today's date and the fact that I am not writing about my travels with NCCC. Yep, no one dropped and (no surprise) I was not contacted. So I called again and finally (after several calls and hours on hold) got put in touch with the Selection and Placement Coordinator for NCCC. Yes! Just who I need!

She was very helpful, understood my situation, and apologized that I had apparently been "skipped over". She offered me a position with the Winter Cycle of NCCC...an alternate position. Well, I took it and now must wait until somebody potentially drops by February 2009. Yes, I am still waiting. After all the hoops that I jumped through, I only have two meager letters of acceptance to show for it. And...oh, what's this?! Both letters signed by the Selection and Placement Coordinators for NCCC. However, one signed by a Stuart and the other by a Tiffany! Things become clearer. Only mere months apart and it seems that this position has been in transition.

Whatever the cause for the disorganization, I am still waiting. I am hopeful that things will go well, but I may not hear anything until February 2009. It has been difficult to maintain my enthusiasm and determination for devoting a year of my life to this national service program. I am still eager to join a team and do what I can, but every day is a little battle to remain motivated. If nothing else, I have been provided with a meager shield for when those penetrating, questioning words are fired at me. I hear "So, what you doing now?" and I can respond by guarding myself with a shield, unsure as it may be, of dedication to a national service program.


So, bring on the fire-fight of inquisitive words. My shield of meager plans is at the ready. However, be warned that I am even now equipping myself with greater tools of future plans, lofty goals, and bright dreams.
Have at me.....

3 comments:

Kim Z.W. said...

So what are you doing while you're waiting? Are you working, or just kind of chillin' at home with the folks?

While you're waiting, I recommend you check out 'The Prayer of Jabez'. I reread it yesterday and have felt very encouraged during my own period of miserable waiting.

Laura said...

i love reading your blog, jeremiah...especially when i'm mentioned! : ) i hope the waiting is going well, but i have to ask, any word yet? know that i'm thinking of you! oh, and while you're thinking up your plan for the future can you think of one for me, too? thanks.

Jeremiah said...

One plan for the future coming right up! It might be a bit of a wait considering that your number six in line! Seems that several people would like one custom-made-by-Jeremiah future!
Still no word from Americorps, but I am still hopeful. I am supposed to wait till Feb, but I have a good contact in the main office and might check it out earlier!
Miss ya!